Friday, June 24, 2022

Public speaking isn't freaking...if you learn to speak!

Let's talk about your greatest fear. No, not spiders, No, not heights. No, not the number 13--or Friday the 13th.

I mean public speaking. Making a speech in front of an audience. And for some folks, they would rather--sorry to be so frank--die and go right to Heaven rather than make a speech in front of all those people.

St. Peter: "What are you doing here now?" 

You: "I had to make a speech." 

St. Peter: "I don't understand. But you're not due here for another 47 years!" 

You: "I don't care. I couldn't take the thought of all those eyes on me. STARING...WATCHING...and I can't speak in front of people. I'd rather die. So there. YOU go and make the speech for me!"

From my view as a college instructor and sales and marketing rep...some students would rather glue their butt to the chair before they would come up to the front of the class to speak about an assignment, let alone try public speaking.

I was that person for years.

I would sit in the back of the class.
In the next classroom.
In the next building.
In the next school available.
In the next town.
In the next state.
And that chair? I wasn't getting out of it to come to the front of the class. It WAS part of my body: I was born with that chair attached to my butt. And when I got married, it was my bride, me, and that chair.
'Cause there was NO WAY that I was going up in front of the class--or ANY audience--without that chair as a life-support/form of safety against public speaking fears. As long as I was in that chair, I was safe.

Well, they're not alone--but this is an important part of college--and life:  SOMEONE wants to hear what you think and know--and speaking in public about it can be one of the most empowering things you can do (without the chair glued to your behind).  I know:  I used to have raging stage fright--I was just terrified of speaking in front of a crowd, let alone the classroom.  Naturally, this doesn't go over well with anyone who has plans to be a teacher!

The good news (yes, that's right) is that many colleges and schools require public speaking; at least one class on your transcript is expected.  And it's not as hard as you think; in fact, learning to overcome the fear of speaking can be very useful.  

("How?!") Well, for one, it shows a potential employer that you have learned to master a difficult challenge that you refused to let overwhelm you--and that you've made a weakness into a strength.)

Second, it's not that bad--in fact, most of the time in school, the audience you're addressing are your own classmates.  They're not any more anxious to do it and are probably just as nervous (unless they're in a debate team program).  If you want to be involved in politics, law, or any field where sharing of information is concerned--then learn to speak in public and don't let it scare you.  

Much of the same rules about a thesis apply to public speaking:  you have to know what makes your idea important and why it's valuable to your audience.  You have to prepare good notes in some manner:  index cards are useful.  The ideas you speak about should be direct and to the point.  And your presence as a person of importance is supported by the fact that you've done research on the subject.

I found the chance to do public speaking to be a career-changing moment for me when I gave a speech at my step-father's retirement party at a plush resort dinner.  There were men in tuxedos and women in fine evening dresses.  What I did was to try and pattern my speech by watching someone on TV whom I liked:  a famous comedian, and the way he timed comments after laughter.  

Did it work? The audience HOWLED with glee at my comments--but I knew my topic: a man (my father) who was known for his meticulous attention to details and orderliness. So did his team and staff associates. He was FAMOUS for following routines for successful business goals. So were the people who followed his methods into their own successful careers and advancements. 

I simply used a story about him that brought this to a funny ending. And then I asked the audience members if they had found themselves in a similar situation with him. My family was astonished at how well I did--and I made sure that I had prepared for this event.  It gave me great momentum toward my career in education and sales--and it truly gave me a new sense of achievement. It was a golden ticket moment for me--and I've been able to do public speaking ever since.

No comments: