(Italics should be used in other settings where appropriate.)
• “Use quotes for short poems and song titles.”
• Do not italicize or underline sacred works (the Bible, etc.)
• Do not…books of the Bible, titles of documents and laws.
• Planes, trains, and ships
• Underline (or italicize) names of ships, trains, airplanes, and spacecraft.
Do NOT underline or italicize abbreviations that precede names:
Underline/italicize letters, numerals, and words referring to the alphabet:
“It had a large blue Z and a red 28 on it.”
Underline/italicize foreign phrases and words
• (Do not use either underlining/italicizing for emphasis. Find a better word to use in its place!)